20 October, 2006

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me

I don't think I've really grasped this blogging thing yet. This particular little guy is not feeling overly empowered.

I have just spent a considerable amount of time trying to decide what to write about the day Britain's best-known right-of-centre political blogger graced us journalism students with his presence.

This in itself, surely, fails to adhere to
Iain Dale's mantra of "I don't think, therefore I blog"? It certainly isn't dangerously, spontaneously, heat-of-the-moment. (Which means that I won't need to change the expletive in the title of this post to 'sod' later today.)

If I'm having so much trouble, just think of all those poor politicians (I know, I know, but hear me out) faced with the "whole new, uncontrollable world" of new media. Dale says, "Blogs can reach parts of the electorate nothing else can. It's vitally important for politicians to reach that audience." But, he says, politicians fear blogs.

Well, I don't blame them. How are they supposed to "keep it real", be edgy and spontaneous whilst maintaining their professional integrity? Be honest about their thoughts whilst not being seen to contradict the party line?

And take heed, would-be-blogger politicians out there, of Dale's sad story of an MP unseated. Apparently, the opposition used her blog, in which she dared to mention leisure activities, to convince voters she did nothing useful for her constituency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home